Saturday, December 6, 2008

To Bean or Not to Bean

That is the question. We have all been sick all week, as evidenced by the fact everyone is still in their jammies in the pics below. So, I was trying to come up with some quiet, low-key activities (as much for me as for them!) that we could do. I had bought a couple of bags of mixed beans to let them play with, and to use to make some seed art projects. So, I poured the bags into two bowls, grabbed some various other bowls, measuring cups, and some spoons. Viola! An activity that kept the girls busy for close to an hour. It was great!!
I had Makenna sort some of the beans to work on some of her fine motor skills (one of the things we work on at sensory therapy as well) as well as making her cross the midline of her body (another therapy thing). She did it happily and didn't realize that we were even "working", but just thought she was getting to play. And Kya was more than content to pour from measuring cup to measuring cup to measuring cup. She was in heaven. And, so was I. :)










5 comments:

Nancy said...

I think I'll go get my beans out and play!

Isn't it amazing how much fun kids have with "non-toys". Your kiddos look adorable as usual.

Christina said...

Thanks for the reminder that pretty soon I'll be able to do some sensory table activities myself. I second Nancy - your girls are so cute!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I will have to try that. Your girls are so cute!

Jess said...

I just added beans to my grocery list!

Stacy said...

totally did this today with lentils and rice it saved my burned out life